The Robert T. Longway Planetarium, located in Flint, Michigan, features an interior geodesic dome by R. Buckminster Fuller. The groundbreaking for the planetarium took place in 1957 and cost approximately $600,000 to complete. Attendance to the first show on June 29, 1958, cost 65 cents. During the 1960’s the planetarium averaged 30,000 guests per year. The planetarium was named after industrialist Robert T. Longway, then president of Buick Motor Division and chairman of Committee of Sponsors which was responsible for raising funds for the Flint Cultural Center.
An olive green shell with cream hexagonal grid supports composed the structure of the planetarium. During the mid 1960s a major leak damaged the dome, resulting in redesign and reconstruction of the dome. The seamless aqua-colored outer cover that exists today was added to prevent further water damage. The planetarium is over 60 ft wide and features 285 seats, the largest in Michigan.
In 1994 the planetarium became part of the Flint Cultural Center. Today, the planeterium features laser shows, educational facilities and workshops for the community.